Monday, May 11, 2009

Georgia

About a month ago I was told that I am going to Fort Stewart Georgia for 30 days. All I was told at the time is that I will be going to support the 41st Infantry Brigade as a medic. I am currently a Medic, Infantryman, and Recruiter in the Guard.

The 41st is the group of approx 2,700 soldiers that are leaving Oregon around the 8th of May to Fort Stewart to contact predeployment operation in preparing for Iraq around July 1st 2009. I was supposed to be apart of those 2,700 soldiers deploying to Iraq but now I will be going to Fort Stewart for 30 days to help them out. I am sitting on the plane righting this right now and as of right now it is my understanding that I will be in an Aid Station. I am also told I can expect to work 12 to 15 hour days and almost no days off until I come home. Hurray! It really isn’t that bad and I don’t mind, yet. I will keep you updated on this.

I have gotten a few questions about can I be picked up on this deployment since I will be down in Georgia with the unit that is deploying. The answer is no. My orders have me coming home on the 5th of June. It is going to be hot down there also; high 80’s and into the 90’s. I have been to Georgia before when I went through Basic and AIT. I didn’t get to see much of Georgia then except for where I was training. Hopefully I can see the town and maybe the Atlantic up close.

I will try and blog regularly when I am down here.

Mike

No comments: